Thread: 6NX - first week

6NX - first week

Firstly thanks Robert!

Always heard about this amp from friends and headfi, but never actually listened to one. So I took the plunge and bought the 6NX (not extra bass version)

I currently own/sold/borrowed Pioneer XDP-300R, iBasso DX200 and Chord Mojo. Earsonic SEM-6, Earsonic Velvet V2, UE TripleFi, so I’m into music, and by my earphone choice; I’m a bass head who enjoys v-shaped equipment and mainly listens to dubstep, Coldplay, John Lennon, Phil Collins, 2Pac, recently Infected Mushroom.

My SEM-6’s are quite power hungry, with my old iPhone 7, it felt like a Rottweiler on a vegan diet! So after receiving the amp, I hooked it up to my Galaxy S7 and bypassing internal DAC with USB Audio Player PRO, on came my test track “Infected Mushroom - Drum n’ Bassa”.

My SEM-6’s came alive, nothing short of what I expected with all the raving reviews and recommendations from friends. I’m no professional audiophile, so I’m not gonna give you an in-depth review, but from my experience with Chord and DX200, I can say the power and punch packed into this small thing outperforms both, SQ is on similar levels, perhaps Chord is slightly better, I never liked the DX200 so I’d place it third, but the portability and battery life (I’ve not had to charge it yet after a week!) outweighs the Chord by far which is bulkier and not trouser pocket friendly.

One note, setting highest gain, and highest bass setting, provides ear splitting amounts of bass, cannot imagine what extra bass version would be like, but I’m happy with what I currently have which is a v-shaped high build quality portable amp.

Happy listening!

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6B083058-A370-4FB6-B7DD-E2731E9132A1.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	44   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FDAE4703-AE6C-4C0B-8083-F654A9788102.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	45   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1BCBE712-3FCB-43B3-B603-AA18939F2334.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	46  

I use my 5TX Extra Bass (amp only) connected to the output of my Mojo (which has brighter sound) in order to extend the bass. The results are GREAT with the Shure SE846 IEMs. Listening to Tidal (HiFi) via Bit-Perfect UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro).
    Last edited by zolom; 05-15-2018 at 07:57 AM.

The TX actually has intended a warmer "tube-like" sound. The NX is more neutral - not too bright, not to warm. If the Mojo sounds even brighter it may be is too bright.

It took me really long to select the OPA2107 opamp for the NX version. It had to have a FET-input, crystal clear sound, low current consumption, high voltage capable etc. Only the OPA2107 was fulfilling every aspect. All other opamps had any drawbacks. Now you guess which opamp was the most expensive? Yes, the OPA2107 is one of the most expensive out there.

Hey,

Just wanted to let everybody know that this is my first week with my 6TX. Still in the honey moon with this device. It's beautiful, a little bit heavier but really good build quality and the sound is really nice. I come from a 5TX with and without Enhanced Bass Boost. Haven't listen to it enough to kind of make a comparison sound wise between the 5TX and the 6TX but both of them have a warm sound and strong bass which is what I'm after, and the portability of this device is just GREAT!!! below are some pics of my setup. Cheers!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	48Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	49Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	50Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	51
    Last edited by chuypad9; 06-07-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuypad9 View Post
    Hey,
    Haven't listen to it enough to kind of make a comparison sound wise between the 5TX and the 6TX but both of them have a warm sound and strong bass which is what I'm after, and the portability of this device is just GREAT!!!
    5TX and 6TX actually sound the same. But the 6TX can play louder as the internal voltage is boosted to +7/-7V instead of the 5TX's +5.5/-5.5V. You will notice the difference with high impedance headphones and heavy bass.

Hey Robert, I found some issues about the 6TX:

1- I can't use the DAC with my iPhone, even if I use the lighning to usb camera adapter ( I was able to use the DAC with the 5TX with this cable)
    2- I can still hear static when I'm using the LTE network to play music videos online. If it gets too bad, I just connect my headphones directly to my iPhone and the static noise is completely gone!
    3- I can't charge my 6TX using the usb from my computer, apparently it does not have enough juice to charge it, I have to use the iPhone wall adapter to charge it.

Again, I still love the device, so anybody considering buying it, they should!!! it's the most portable device in the market that can be used with a smart phone and the eq capabilities to boost treble or bass are just INCREDIBLE!!!

1- I can't use the DAC with my iPhone, even if I use the lighning to usb camera adapter ( I was able to use the DAC with the 5TX with this cable)
    iPhone connection is not supported. The 6TX's USB DAC works fine with every Android mobile phone. Update see below.

2- I can still hear static when I'm using the LTE network to play music videos online. If it gets too bad, I just connect my headphones directly to my iPhone and the static noise is completely gone!
    The input audio cable may pick up some noise from your iPhone. With my Android mobile phone it is very little. It also depends on how the amp is attached to the mobile phone.

3- I can't charge my 6TX using the usb from my computer, apparently it does not have enough juice to charge it, I have to use the iPhone wall adapter to charge it.
    Charging will only work with an adapter. Otherwise the mobile device would charge the amp.

I got interested in upgrading my 5TX extra bass (currently sent for repair by Robert).
    Just wonder about the Bass compatibility to the 5TX extra bass. Is the current 6TX (no bass extension) Bass settings sufficient for me? I usually used to configure my 5TX with extra bass 5TX in the following manner: Treble - "I "or "II", Bass - mostly "I" and Frequency - all , none were set to "0".

I intend to use the 6TX with my Chord Mojo to extend its somewhat "brighter" sound signature.

I will appreciate an answer from someone who had tried both the 5TX extra bass and the 6TX

Thanks
    Last edited by zolom; 06-11-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zolom View Post
    Is the current 6TX (no bass extension) Bass settings sufficient for me? I usually used to configure my 5TX with extra bass 5TX in the following manner: Treble - "I "or "II", Bass - mostly "I" and Frequency - all , none were set to "0".
    The Arrow with enhanced bass boost has double as much boost as the standard version. But as you are mostly using BASS=I on your 5TX EBB (enhanced bass boost) you can get the same boost on the standard version at BASS=II.

Thanks Robert
    When will the 6TX EBB be ready for order?

Quote Originally Posted by zolom View Post
    When will the 6TX EBB be ready for order?
    At least two month.

Update regarding iPhone connection: I made a change to the EEPROM firmware and now it is working with iPhones together with the "Camera Connection Kit" cable. Sorry, I just tested the amp with my Android before. So to connect an iPhone you will need the "Camera Connection Kit" cable and a standard USB cable (that comes with the amp). If you already received the 6TX/6NX and want to connect an iPhone just send me an email to arrange the update of the firmware.

Just received my 6NX and could not be happier. Coming from a 4G there is an easily audible difference for the better, both in SQ clarity and volume capability with my Senn 650s.

I will be doing more critical listening over the next while but can already recommend this new Arrow unreservedly!
    So...Thanks Robert, it was worth the wait!

One observation, as I also use a balanced desktop set up; I tried using the 6NX to feed the balanced amp using the DAC from the Arrow to feed the analog in on the desktop (like a preamp) and was truly impressed by the SQ of the signal generated by the DAC in the new Arrow with 24/96 FLAC files.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arrow6NX.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	55